Saturday, March 30, 2013

Volunteered at Guadalupe Gardens in San Jose

Thinking that it was time to do a bit if volunteer work -- I decided to sharpen the garden tools at Guadalupe Gardens.

Guadalupe Gardens is a park, demonstration gardens, community gardens along with trails and more.



Guadalupe Gardens Tool Shed

I was led to the tool shed, and when I was shown a five gallon pail practically overflowing with pruners I kind of gulped and maybe thought I bit off more that I could chew! The pail had 60 pruners. There was another pail containing 11 loppers.

Guadalupe Gardens Garden Tool Sharpening


I got to it. The pruners are just used for dead-heading roses so they were not so worn. I examined, sharpened, oiled and adjusted them.

The loppers were the ones that took all the work as they were quite worn. Again, the same thing — sharpen and oil. They did not require any adjustments as they all were Coronas with nylon locknuts. The pruners, with all the screws, brackets, springs and tabs were the ones with loose parts falling off.

Guadalupe Gardens Tools

An old friend said once "You eat an elephant one bite at a time, " and that is what I did. Did not take too long, and I was just about on time for my next appointment that day!

A Job Well Done!
Here is all the tools all finished! 




No comments:

Post a Comment