Friday, April 5, 2013

Weekly Knife Sharpening Locations

Being a mobile knife sharpener, I set up in different locations throughout the week. My web site has all the locations and information, but I thought to flesh out all the information here on the blog.



Mondays finds me at Lunardi's Bascom.

Knife Sharpening at Lunardi's Bascom San Jose
Above is a recent setup at Lunardi's Bascom. I say recent setup as I have to move occasionally — I am now more to the right towards the burgundy awning that's visible. Both this Lunardi's plus the adjacent property is being remodeled so the knife sharpening booth needs to bounce around a bit as construction demands.

I am at this Lunardi's on Mondays 10am to 5pm.

Tuesday is an off day, also Thursday and Friday. I am looking for a spot for Friday.

Wednesday I am at Lunardi's San Bruno.

Knife Sharpener at Lunardi's San Bruno

I am in the parking lot just outside of one of the entrances of Lunardi's San Bruno. The parking lot is the preferred spot in most locations because of the visibility. San Bruno's weather is often windy and foggy. I keep the popup canopy tied to the wheels of my truck and make sure everything is weighted down. Rain cancels Lunardi's San Bruno as there is no place to relocate under cover.
Rainy Lunardi's San Bruno
Here I am huddled in the cab of my truck during rain at a recent stop at Lunardi's San Bruno. Rain was forecast that day, but the morning looked good so I thought to go. As the rain started, then increased I had to pack up things that could not get wet — then finally had to call it a day, packed up and left.

I am at Lunardi's San Bruno Wednesdays 10:30am to 5pm.

Thursdays I am off.

Fridays I am off (but looking!).

Saturdays I am holding court at Kirkwood Plaza.

Kirkwood Plaza Knife Sharpening Booth
Kirkwood Plaza contains a Nob Hill Supermarket, a Big Five sports store, scads of other stores and a nice selection of restaurants. The knife booth is on the walkway near Nob Hill.

Now is a good time to actually describe my knife sharpening business. Most stops I setup a ten foot by ten foot popup canopy, drape it with signs and banners, and set up three tables — two work tables and one of knives, scissors and garden tools for sale.

If you want your knives sharpened, you bring them with you when you go shopping, you leave them with me, you go into the supermarket and shop, come back to me on your way back to the car, and I will have your knives or scissors or garden tools all sharpened and ready to take home.

I sharpen knives, including serrated knives, scissors, pruners, loppers, and hedge trimmers:
  • Knives are sharpened, chips are taken out, broken points are repaired, and after sharpening the knives are wrapped in newspaper for the ride home. 
  • Garden tools are dissembled, cleaned, sharpened, oiled, reassembled and adjusted.
  • Scissors are sharpened, cleaned and tested.
  • Folding pocket knives are cleaned, sharpened, lubricated
I am setup for the day, and you can bring the knives and wait, drop them off and shop and get them after, or even drop off the knives and go play golf or whatever (just remember to leave a phone number in case you don't remember to come back and pick them up!).

I accept cash, checks and credit cards (using Square on my smartphone).

Sharpen While You Shop Mobile Knife Sharpening Business

I am part of Sharpen While You Shop, currently there are two of us, Jeff and I. Visit Sharpen While You Shop for the complete schedule.



Sundays has me traveling up north to Gene's Fine Foods to sharpen knives.

Gene's Fine Foods Knife Sharpening

I enjoy working at Gene's on Sundays. I am located in the parking space right between the exit door and an entrance door, so that it is easy to strike up conversations with the shoppers. People often stop at my for sale knife table and 'talk knives,' and perhaps because it is Sunday, there is a lot of people with dogs and bicycles.

That's it. Please contact me if you have any questions or need more information! My cell phone and website address is located at the top of this blog.













1 comment: